The emphasis of the founders on ‘knowledge’ is aptly reflected in the college emblem, which bears the inscription, ‘Knowledge is Power’. The ‘Garuda’ (the Eagle) in this emblem, symbolizes the youth, soaring with the power of knowledge, into a vast sky of challenges and opportunities.
To aspire and strive for excellence in education by developing and sharpening the intellectual and human potential of learners for the good of society and of our stakeholders.
- To impart quality education through traditional and innovative learning practices.
- To provide a dynamic and creative academic environment, to tap and nurture talent for the development of professional skills and an all round personality.
- To inculcate good moral values and a sense of nationalism, in keeping with the glorious heritage of the Institute
The Deccan Education Society (DES) was founded in 1884 by luminaries such as Lokmanya Bal Gangadhar Tilak, Vishnushastri Chipalunkar, Gopal Ganesh Agarkar, Mahadev Ballal Namjoshi and Vaman Shivram Apte. (also the first Principal of the College). They took the bold step of starting the first ever privately managed college in india, on 2nd January 1885. They named it Fergusson College in appreciation of the support from Sir James Fergusson, then the Governor of Bombay Province and also the first Patron of the DES.Over the past 125 years, Fergusson College has enriched the country by contributing illustrious names to the nation's list of patriots, thinkers, philosophers, poets, writers, teachers, social workers, scientist, sports persons, industrialist, entrepreneurs, administrators, defence officers, film makers…. Every walk of life is graced by Fergussonians who have achieved eminence in their field.As a whole, in its geographical location, in the architecture of its buildings, and its ambience, the College blends an old world charm with the ethos of modernity, linking history with the future. "knowledge is Power" the buzzword of today has been the motto of the College from the day of its inception – a testimony to the foresight, commitment and versatility that characterized the spirit of the Institution.
Distinctive Characteristics :
- Glorious history of 125 years
- Reaccredited by NAAC 'A' Grade (with 3.26 CGPA) in March 2010
- Located in the heart of the city.
- Beautiful campus with greenery and flanked by the famcus 'Fergusson Hill'.
- The Botanical Garden with its greenery and flowering plants.
- Rich heritage of excellence and excellent academic ambience.
- Heritage Buildings – Main Building N.M. Wadia Amphitheater and the Bai Jerbai Wadia Library.
- Seprate buildings for Science departments and two Arts departments (Economics and Psychology), with well- equipped laboratories and spacious classrooms.
- Science Museum of Botany, Geology, Physics and Zoology departments are storehouses of rich and rare exhibits.
- Flexible and wide range of academic programmes.
- Outstanding academic achievements which is evident from the ranking in Top Ten Colleges in India, survey conduct by leading weekly, “India Today”.
- International and national linkages and college preferred by foreign students.
- Good Hostel facilities.
Ex-Fergussonians' Association (EFA) – with strong list of alumni.
9. Mathematics (Industrial)
15. Statistics (Applied)
|Post Graduate Courses (M.A.)
| 1. Economics
- Only at general level and not at special level.
- Non grant Courses.There are 15 subjects at F.Y.B.A. English and second language is compulsory. Students must offer additional four subjects from the specified groups.