Fergusson College Junior wing of the college
, had its inception in 1975-76, when the state of Maharashtra adopted the 10+2+3 pattern following the recommendations of the Kothari Education Commission (1964-66). It was started as a separate academic unit in the same campus of the Fergusson college. After introduction of new course at the +2stage (Junior College), expansion of various existing departments and laboratories and consequent phenomenal growth in its student strength, need for more physical space resulted in the construction of a new building- Smt. Saralatai Birala academic complex, for the Junior College which was inaugurated in year 2003. However, in the larger interest of healthy academic atmosphere, for staff and students alike, the physical separation of the +2 and +3 stages was considered inadvisable. All the curricular and co-curricular activities of the Degree and Junior Colleges are spread over the complete campus. The new building houses mostly the classrooms (6 big and 6 small) for lecturing activity of Junior wing of the college. The co-existence of the +2 and +3 stages in our college has given the Junior College an interval structure and sense of belonging to respective full-fledged departments. This gives the college a lively intellectual and academic atmosphere in which progressive ideas can flourish. The motivated students get a view of junior advanced basic and applied learning and research, and a corridor for interaction. The Junior wing of the Fergusson College is affiliated to the Maharashtra State Board of Secondary and Higher Secondary Education. It conducts courses in Arts, Science, Electronics and Computers (Bifocal/ Vocational). It prescribes by the state Board. The medium of instruction is English/Marathi subject to the statutory requirement of eligible numbers of students.
There is no direct admission to Std XI in Fergusson College. In Pune all admissions to Std XI Arts, Sciences, Commerce and vocational/ bifocal are under the CENTRALISED ADMISSION PROCEDURE of the DEPARTMENT OF EDUCATION, STATE GOVERNMENT. All students seeking admission to Fergusson College Std XI must come through this procedure only. Immediately after Std X results a student can procedure a form of Centralized Admission Procedure from any school/Junior college, in the city. According to the marks of the student and his/her preferences of colleges. Every student gets admission to a college. After the lists of the students admitted to various junior college are released, then only Fergusson College admits the students allocated to the college by the Centralized Admission Procedure. Admission to vocational/bifocal courses is table admissions.
College offers at Junior level different subjects in Science faculty. Students have a wide range of subject at the junior level.
- Environmental Science
- Political Science
Vocational Courses (Aided)
- Mechanical Maintainance
- Electrical Maintainance
- The college has a total intake capacity of 6 divisions (720 Seats) at aided level in Junior College Science wing.
- The College has a total intake capacity of 2 divisions (240 Seats) at unaided level in Junior College Science wing
- The College has a total intake capacity of 2 divisions (240 Seats) at aided level in Junior College Arts wing. One division of 120 students is for English medium and one division of 120 students is for Marathi Medium.
Subjects for Science
- English and Environmental Science are compulsory subjects. Chemistry and physics are also compulsory.
- A subject can choose any two subjects from Geography, Mathematics and Biology.
- A student can choose any one second language other than English.
- They can select any one second language out of the 5 languages i.e. French, German, Sanskrit, Hindi and Marathi.
- They can choose IT (Information Technology) instead of second language. But it is an unaided course. There is separate fee structure of this subject. There are 60 seats for the subject.
There are four aided and two unaided vocational subjects
Four aided subjects are
- Mechanical Maintenance
- Electrical Maintenance
- Scooter Motor – Cycle servicing. (SMS)
The lectures and practicals of these subjects are held at Technical School, Ghole Road.
Two unaided subjects are
There is a separate fee structure for these two subjects. The lectures and practicals of these two courses are held in the Fergusson College campus.
Environmental (Arts & Science)
The marks of the Environmental science are counted and considered as one of the subjects at F.Y.J.C. level.
The marks of the Environmental science are not counted but they are converted into the grades at S.Y.J.C. level.
The grades are sent by the College to Board. Projects for Environmental Science are compulsory for F.Y.J.C. and S.Y.J.C. Arts and Science.
The marks of the project are counted at F.Y.J.C. level but they are converted into grades at S.Y.J.C. level.